My Future (Formerly Getting Cumbria To Work) – Building Better Opportunities
My Future Project (formerly named Getting Cumbria to Work) is funded through the Building Better Opportunities programme, funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) and The National Lottery Community Fund (TNLCF). The project received Emergency Funding and Extension Funding and so will now continue until June 2023.
Building Better Opportunities: My Future : Barrow and South Lakeland (BBO-My Future) is one of three partnership projects in Cumbria being jointly funded through the Building Better Opportunities programme by the European Social Fund and the National Lottery, through the Big Lottery Fund, who are co-investing in local projects tackling the root causes of worklessness, promoting social inclusion and driving local jobs and growth. The other two projects are being led by Groundwork in Allerdale and Copeland and by WEA in Carlisle and Eden.
BBO-My Future seeks to provide support and work with individuals across Barrow and South Lakeland who are facing multiple and complex barriers to employment and who are furthest removed from the labour market. It will seek to help move them into or closer to the labour market supporting them to play a greater, more productive role in their communities, demonstrate increased skills and confidence and be much more likely to consider employment or volunteering as a viable prospect.
The project will deliver three particular strands of support focused around:
- Mental Health: providing support to individuals who experience mental health issues – including a joined up response with the range of agencies who already work with such participants.
- Financial Inclusion: supporting people to overcome financial and digital barriers to employment by providing financial and money management advice to enable participants to manage their money better and make it go further.
- Working with the Social Enterprise Sector and wider Third Sector: providing work experience and employment opportunities for participants..
BBO-My Future is led by Cumbria CVS and delivered in partnership with six local organisations across Cumbria:
- Cumbria Alcohol and Drug Advisory Service (Cadas)
- Right2Work (Oaklea Trust)
- Women’s Community Matters
These partners will provide support and advice tailored to the specific needs of individuals: Activities may include budgeting workshops, basic IT skills, guidance & confidence building, guidance on how to shop & cook on a budget, use of internet, email & social media, using the internet safely, CV and applying for jobs online, via one to one, group sessions and sessions undertaken in community outreach locations.
For more information: